They invited me to participate in their teacher training for the Los Angeles Philharmonic's second El Sistema-inspired program: Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA). Christine is now the Project Manager of this program and Dan is the Project Manager of Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles (YOLA). HOLA and Juneau, Alaska Music Matters (JAMM) are launching similar programs: violin for its youngest participants and band instruments for its older students.
The goals of the training included:
- Building community among staff through making music together
- Developing HOLA goals and objectives for year one
- Creating a shared teaching philosophy as it relates to El Sistema principles.
- Providing teacher training for newly purchased World Music Drums and curriculum
- Developing a unified vision of classroom agreements and expectations
Here's the quote from Socrates, which I shared on our first day: "Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel"